Officials say no danger of heavy floods in Sindh

September 8, 2014 Off By Web Desk

KARACHI: Additional Secretary Irrigation Aslam Ansari on Tuesday said that there was no danger of massive destructions from floods in Sindh as the flood water coming from Punjab will lose its strength and only 6.5 Lakh cusecs water will enter Sindh on 15th September which would only be 2-3 feet above the embankments.

Speaking at a press conference at Sindh Secretariat along with other Secretary Rehabilitation Roshan Shaikh, Ansari said that 1140,000 cusec water passed through Jhelum and Chenab but before entering Sindh at least 150,000 cusecs water will be left behind after embankments would be demolished in Punjab while 350,000 cusecs water will be lost between Kot Mithan to Guddu.

He said that 45 sensitive positions were identified at different embankments, where machinery has been sent for their strengthening. “We have cancelled holidays of all irrigation officers and they would work round the clock to monitor the situation,” he said adding that flood water would benefit fields in Katcha areas.

Speaking on the occasion, Director General PDMA Salman Shah said that there was no need to panic as deputy commissioners of Larkana and Sukkur are alerted to monitor the situation. He said that Katcha areas along the River Indus would be vacated from local population and the instructions in this regard had been conveyed to the concerned authorities.

“We have shifted boats, camps, medicines and other relief goods to the would-be affected areas and armed forces are requested to remain standby for relief activities,” he said.

The DG PDMA said that special arrangements based on modern technology were devised to avert destruction from floods while Rs 20 million were given to each deputy commissioner for relief activities in their respective areas.

He said that the district disaster management authority would have representation from civil society and media to make rehabilitation process transparent.

Shah further said that Chief Minister Sindh would visit Larkana and Sukkur to oversee the flood-avoiding and rehabilitation arrangements.

He said that there were suitable rains in Tharparkar that has lessen drought chances in the region. “A meeting of Tharparkar stakeholders was held in Nangarparkar where committees regarding installation of bio-plants, agriculture, livestock, forests and craftsmen were formed which submitted their initial findings while the complete reports would be made public soon.”

“The stakeholders will devise a strategy for Tharparkar after considering different reports and plan for the districts development would be formed and implemented in this regard,” he said.

Shah said that there were less rains in Thana Bola Khan, Thatta and other districts of the province and the provincial authorities were considering the situation and would declare drought-hit if needed.

Director Meteorological Department Tauseef Ahmed said that there would be 30 percent less rains in the province this year; however, there were rains in Tharparkar and a rain-system was present in Rajasthan which would cause rainfall in Tharparkar after five days.

The post Officials say no danger of heavy floods in Sindh appeared first on Pakistan Press International.