People start thronging Quaid’s mausoleumNovember 12, 2014
KARACHI: People of Karachi and other cities get delighted after hearing the news of reopening of Quaid-e-Azam’s Mausoleum and start thronging there to visit the monumental place for learning and enjoyment amid tight security.
Effective steps have been taken to beef up the security, such as, walk-through gate installed at the only entrance, surveillance through cameras increased, rangers personnel deployed along private guards and separate parking made out of the mausoleum.
Qamar Abbas, a veterinary doctor of Punjab during his visit to the mausoleum along his relative boys on Thursday, said: “we come here to visit the grave of founder of Pakistan, Quaid-e-Azam, and other beloved leaders who are also buried here. Here, we get to learn about the lifestyle of our leader and what kind of things he used by visiting museum and of course it is a place for enjoyment as well,” he smiled.
He said it was a good step by the city administration to reopen it for public visitors as poor families visited there to spend some leisure time out of their busy life.
A factory worker, Ahmed Khan, said he occasionally visited the mausoleum for enjoying some leisure time along his close friend when he had holiday.
Khan criticized the mausoleum administration for not controlling the environment around to stop it from becoming love hovel, because people had reservation visiting the place along families. He said if the authorities could not control it then it was better closed than open.
An old private security guard said it was pitiful that some boys and girls bunked their institutes without getting permission from their parents to visit there, which harmed their studies.
Though a couple of sweepers were seen cleaning a fountain area but overall cleaning situation was bad, a couple of stray dogs were also seen in the premises, God knows where they came from. Commenting about the dirty environment, Asif, a worker in a canteen in the mausoleum, said the cleaning workers had gone on leaves to their ancestral towns out of the city during the closure and they could not return yet, therefore, the cleaning could not be made properly.
He said it was the third day of reopening of the mausoleum but still the number of visitors was less than it used to be before August 28th when it was closed.
Commissioner Karachi Shoaib Ahmed Siddiqui told PPI that the mausoleum had been reopened after several meetings and consultation with law enforcement agencies. The security had been beefed up and it would be made more effective as more meetings were to be held in this regard.
“The city administration never wanted to close the mausoleum as it is a public place and we wish that it remains open,” he said.
Resident Engineer and senior member of Quaid-e-Azam Mazar Management Board Muhammed Arif could not be contacted despite making several attempts. A security officer told he was busy in meeting. Arif had earlier told that the mausoleum was closed because a threat similar to Ziarat Residence, to completely destroy the mausoleum, was received by the authorities.