Police arrest those involved in PTV, parliament attacks, Nisar

September 12, 2014 Off By Web Desk

Islamabad: Interior Minister Ch. Nisar Ali Khan has said that PTI and PAT has no right to raise hue and cry over arrests of those involved in attacks on PTV and parliament House as the two parties are on record disowning these attacks.

Addressing a news conference, he said the authorities started arrests of culprits the day before yesterday after completing the identification process through NADRA and other sources.

The Interior Minister said photographs of those involved in these attacks were advertised and a prize of one hundred thousand rupees announced for those assisting in their identification. He said so far twenty of them have been identified and seven of them arrested. These belong to Punjab and other areas of the country.

He said clear instructions have been given to the authorities not to arrest political workers and action should only be taken against those involved in attacks on state institutions or police personnel.

The Interior Minister said a committee has been formed for proper identification and the Government would welcome association of PTI and PAT in this process to ensure that no innocent person is arrested.

The Minister displayed photographs showing participants of the sit-ins attacking PTV and Parliament House, breaking grill of the Parliament House, manhandling SSP Islamabad and electricity and water theft at the venue of sit-ins.

He said an FIR has been registered against electricity theft at the venue of sit-ins through four direct hooks (Kundas) and stealing of water. He said Capital’s main water pipeline has also been breached and water being stolen by the participants of the sit-ins.

Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan emphatically stated that all those involved in attacks on state institutions and police personnel and theft of electricity and water would be arrested. He said they would be picked up wherever found.

He it was for the first time in the history of the country that thousands of people were coming to storm the capital but police was disarmed. He said eleven people with repeaters have been arrested. One wireless set snatched from police has also been recovered besides gas masks.

The Interior Minister said a very serious security alert was received a day before yesterday about possibility of terrorist attack on two sit-ins. The alert was received from a sensitive agency and thereafter security of the participants was beefed up.

He said apart from deployment of bomb disposal experts, ban was imposed on pillion riding in the capital for fourteen days. He, however, regretted that the participants of the sit-ins are catching security personnel deployed for their protection, humiliate and manhandle them. He said how we could provide protection when those deployed for the purpose are treated in this manner.

The Minister expressed the confidence that better sense would prevail and participants of the sit-ins would cooperate in ensuring their security.

The Minister also hoped that after clarification of the entire situation about arrests, the deadlock in talks would end and dialogue would resume.

He said the both parties should realize that only solution of the prevailing crisis is dialogue and nothing else. He said the Government and state institutions would not allow imposing of any solution that amounts to challenging writ of the state.

Replying to a question, the Interior Minister said neither any general crackdown has been ordered nor contemplated against protestors of the Red Zone.

The post Police arrest those involved in PTV, parliament attacks, Nisar appeared first on Pakistan Press International.