Saudi Air Defense Forces intercept ballistic missile fired by Houthi militia on NajranJanuary 12, 2018
Riyadh, (UNA-OIC) – The Saudi Royal Air Defense Forces intercepted a ballistic missile over the southern province of Najran, bordering Yemen, on Thursday.
Yemen’s militants said they fired the missile targeting a special forces camp and a facility for helicopter gunships in the Saudi border province of Najran.
The media arm of the Houthis, said Thursday’s projectile was a Qaher 2-M ballistic missile.
The Saudi-led coalition spokesperson Colonel Al-Maliki confirmed that the missile had been fired in the direction of the city of Najran and was deliberately launched to target civilian and populated areas, before being intercepted. Al-Maliki also stated that there had been no loss of life or casualties in the incident.
It is the latest act of aggression on the border. Last month, Houthi militias fired a ballistic missile at Riyadh, targeting Al-Yamamah Royal Palace in the Saudi capital.
While in November, militias launched a missile targeting King Khalid International Airport. Saudi air defense forces intercepted the missile and shot it down without causing any damage.
Houthi aggression toward Saudi Arabia has increased in recent months and has caused a global outcry with a number of countries and organizations condemning the launch of ballistic missiles targeting the Kingdom.
Meanwhile, Houthi militias have threatened to cut off Red Sea shipping routes, with Yemeni minister Abdul-Raqib Fat’h calling it a flagrant challenge to the rule of law.
Saudi-led coalition forces and their Yemeni allies last year regained control of several strategic ports, waging an assault against the Houthis. The Saudi Navy has also engaged in numerous mine-sweeping missions on Yemeni shores, amid warnings over explosives planted by the militias.
Source: Interantional Islamic News Agency