SHC extends interim order on petitions of Qaim, PitafiSeptember 2, 2013
KARACHI: The Sindh High Court SHC on Monday further extended stay on its order restraining the Sukkur election tribunal from deciding an appeal against Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah and a PPP leader till September 24.
A division bench of SHC extended the interim order on petitions filed by Shah and other PPP leader Ahmed Ali Pitafi, who sought the transfer of the appeals filed against them by their rival candidates, Syed Ghous Ali Shah of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz PMLN, and Pakistan Muslim League Functional PMLF candidate Faqir Abdul Khaliq from the Sukkur tribunal to some other tribunal.
The petitioners while expressing no trust in the head of the Sukkur tribunal for being a follower of Pir Pagara, who is the chief of the PML-Functional, said that the PMLF had an alliance with the PMLN and both could not get a fair decision.
The counsel for the chief minister told the court that PMLN defeated candidate levelled an allegation of rigging and sought Shah’s disqualification.
It was submitted that retired district and sessions judge Zaheeruddin Leghari, who was heading the Sukkur tribunal, was biased as he was a disciple of Pir Pagara. The petitioners had apprehended that they may not get justice from the tribunal.
They had prayed to the court to direct commission to transfer appeals against them from Sukkur tribunal to some other tribunal.
A division bench of SHC, headed by Justice Faisal Arab, earlier on April 17 stayed the proceedings against the petitioners. The bench further extended restraining orders till September 24.