SHC gives more time to interior ministry to submit details of Afaq Ahmed record

August 28, 2013 Off By Web Desk

KARACHI: The Sindh High Court SHC on Wednesday once again allowed more time to interior ministry to submit details of charges of the involvement of Mohajir Qaumi Movement -Haqiqi (MQMH) Chairman Afaq Ahmed in terrorism activities on the basis of which his name had been placed on the Exit Control List ECL.

A division bench of SHC headed by Chief Justice Mushir Alam was hearing the petition filed by Afaq Ahmed, who moved the court against placement of his name on ECL.

The bench said that on January 15, 2013 the contention of Interior ministry was recorded that Afaq’s name has been placed on ECL on the basis of his criminal record. Though, it observed that no such material was placed on record by interior ministry to justify its stance of placing name on ECL.

The bench noted that it had directed the concerned department to place on record such record but no record was placed except merely some documents showing that names of certain persons have been placed on ECL.

The court said that it had given specific direction, seeking record regarding to Afaq’s involvement in any criminal or terrorism activity. DAG again requested for further time to call record.

The bench observed that it appears that in number of cases the ministry of interior did not act swiftly to the direction of the court. It adjourned the matter for two weeks as saying that if no reply of the ministry is received, the court will be justified in presuming that no justification exists and the court may pass appropriate orders.

Besides, it will also impose heavy cost on the delinquent concerned section officer ELC of the ministry of Interior.