UNSC condemns attacks on oil tankers, urges maximum restraint in Gulf region

June 25, 2019 Off By Web Desk

United Nations Security Council on Monday condemned the recent attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf region, as a serious threat to maritime navigation and energy supply.

The Council members also considered the attacks as a violation of the rules of international law, including the freedoms of navigation and maritime transport, and a threat to international peace and security.

This came in a press statement read out by Kuwait’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Mansour Al-Otaibi, in his capacity as Council President for June, shortly after the conclusion of a closed-door meeting on the Middle East situation, which was briefed by UN Undersecretary-General for Political Affairs Rosemary DiCarlo.

The Council members “urged concerned parties and all countries in the region to exercise maximum restraint and take measures and actions to reduce escalation and end tension,” said Al-Otaibi, adding that they also urged parties concerned to exercise maximum restraint in the Gulf region.

“They urge that differences must be addressed peacefully and through dialogue,” he said, noting that Council members “will continue to be seized on the matter”.

Earlier this month, two oil tankers were attacked in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz, with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reiterating that Iran is responsible for the assault.

Source: International Islamic News Agency