World powers regret Iran’s decision to boost uranium enrichmentJuly 8, 2019
World powers voiced regret over Iran’s decision to breach the uranium enrichment level that was agreed on in the 2015 nuclear deal, urging Tehran to abide by the key provisions of the accord.
Iran has warned world powers that it will not offer any further “deadlines” to save the 2015 nuclear deal by September, with Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi telling reporters that the last chance for saving the pact will pass after a 60-day deadline.
The United States said Iran will face more sanctions for enhancing its nuclear program beyond the limits of a 2015 landmark deal that Washington no longer supports.
Iran’s latest expansion of its nuclear program will lead to further isolation and sanctions, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a tweet on Sunday.
Last week, Iran announced that it had surpassed the 300 kg enriched uranium limit, but officials including Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif have said Iran was ready to go back to observing the limits under the JCPOA if it gets the economic help from the other nations involved in the deal.
Iran’s main demand � in talks with the European parties to the deal and as a precondition to any talks with the United States � is to be allowed to sell its oil at the levels before Washington pulled out of the agreement and restored sanctions.
The remaining signatories have all voiced concern about Tehran’s stockpile limit breach.
Britain, France, Germany and the European Union said in a joint statement recently they had been consistent and clear that our commitment to the nuclear deal depends on full compliance by Iran and urged the Islamic Republic to refrain from further measures that undermine the accord.
Russia and China, two other world powers that have stuck to the 2015 agreement, have also objected to Iran’s breaching of the uranium stockpile provision.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov urged Iranian officials to show restraint and abide by the key provisions of the pact, calling also on the Europeans to fulfill their promises and commitments under the nuclear deal.
At a regular press briefing on Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang expressed his country’s regrets over Iran’s decision to breach the uranium enrichment limit, calling on all relevant sides to exercise restraint. He also reiterated that the standoff needed to be resolved diplomatically.
On July 1, the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) confirmed that Iran had followed through on its threat to breach a central limit of its nuclear deal with major powers, accumulating more enriched uranium than allowed under the accord. An IAEA report, sent to member states, put Iran’s stock at 205 kg, above the deal’s limit of 202.8 kg.
Source: International Islamic News Agency